Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Text Messaging.....Mental Illness?


Recently, I was given some extremely interesting news concerning text messaging. In short,  addiction to text messaging could be linked to a mental disorder according to the American Journal  Psychiatry. The article was written by Dr. Jerald Block who says that there are a number of  symptoms that could be indications of mental illness. One of these symptoms is going into withdrawals when you cannot access your phone. Another is an increased need for better equipment/phone. The list continues but you kind of see where this is leading. You do realize if this is actually true than we have a student ministry comprised of mental problems. I feel confident in the fact that I do not fall into the mental illness category because, although I text the students, I feel absolutely no withdrawals if I don't text. However, I don't believe the same can be said for others who shall remain nameless. 
According to a report called "Media and Communication" they found that the avg. student in Australia ranging from the age of 15-17 spends 30 minutes a day texting. Wow... I believe that's considerably low compared to our wonderful students who consider texting to be the equivalent to life-support. Of course I'm just kidding around with you guys, but you've got to admit that it does stir up some interest. If you're interested in seeing a video concerning text messaging please go to 
http://money.cnn.com/video/#/video/news/2008/03/28/news.harlow.wierdbiz.cnnmoney. I believe you'll find it interesting. So, the question is posed. Do think addiction to texting could be a mental illness. In my opinion where do you draw the line? If addiction to texting is a mental illness than is addiction to caffeine a mental illness as well? It would seem that taking that stance would mean that any addiction could be labeled a mental illness.  I would love to here your thoughts. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My addictions do not constitute a mental illness. There is absolutely nothing wrong with me and I can quit anytime I want to, thank you very much!...Seriously, I don't think addictions should be classified as a mental illness, because the real problem is sin, and that's everybody's problem. On the other hand, you could just argue that everyone is mentally ill because everyone suffers from the effects of sin....as well as physically ill, not to mention spritually ill...Mitch