Thursday, July 17, 2008

Baby Days


It was just little less than a week ago when I woke up to hear my wife saying, "Alan, I think its time". I wish I could describe the feelings that where swimming through the currents of my groggy (having been woken up) brain. It wasn't quite how I expected myself to respond. I didn't run around like a chicken with my head cut off or anything; probably because Sarah was calm about everything. We gathered everything together and made our way toward the hospital to begin a journey that I will not soon forget. It wasn't long before the contractions ensued and my wife began her own little journey through the catacombs of pain. However, God bless a little medicinal treat called epidural. It wasn't long before Sarah took up new residence in a land called la la. 
After a days worth of labor, the time had come to bring Wesley into this little world. The next two hours would prove to me that my wife is one tough cookie. No screaming, no shouting, just a little grimacing and then he was here. Finally, after great anticipation, my first born son is here. Waves of emotion swept through my entire being. In moments, I experienced an endless array of feelings. I was happy, afraid, concerned, overwhelmed, proud and anxious. Its incredible at how my entire existence has changed. In a few short hours I went from a family of two to a family of 3. I HAVE A SON!!! 
For years I never imaged taking care of a little human being that was utterly dependent on me and my wife. Not just dependent on some things, but everything; and the only way he can communicate his needs is to scream. Its funny how things like poopie and spit-up suddenly are cute instead of gross when its coming from a baby. Why its called spit-up instead of vomit?; I have no clue. In addition to that, its ok that Wesley goes through about 8 changes of clothes a day, but if I wear more than two, I get scolded. Yeah, babies have it made. 
Wesley's been home now for four days and we're finally getting into what we feel is a good routine. Because Sarah is breast feeding I really can't do much in that area, but I try to offer help in anyway I can when she's feeding. Sometimes, I bring my computer in there so that she can watch a movie during the hour he feeds or I just lay in the floor and keep her company until she's done so that I can hold him again. Anyway, there's not a lot to say because he's only been with us for 4 days, but I'll keep you posted as time progresses. Please pray that God gives us wisdom to lead as godly parents would and that Christ would be honored in our decisions and leadership. God bless.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rock on, dad. ~ Mitch

Bo, Tori, and Brayden said...

Congratulations to you both!! I know that you will be a great dad. Wesley is precious! What were his stats? :)