Saturday, September 19, 2009

Ten Years and Counting

If you're the one or two people who usually subscribe to this blog, please be informed that this particular post is not any attempt to unravel the knot of theological debate. However, i do wish to reflect on the last decade of my life as I anticipate my 10 year high school reunion coming up this Oct. 1st-3rd. Looking back, I'm further convinced of a God who works providencially through His creation. If I actually took time to type out the depths of my depravity (especially 10 years ago) we would both have aged considerably, not to mention you would have to step away from the screen as if you were watching some overly gorry horror film. Don't worry, I will spare you those incriminating details. But I will say this; I have been brought from a disrespectful, self-centered, disloyal, disingenuine, two-faced idolater to a man who is slap dab in the middle of the Lord's sanctifying work and I can't take one ounce of credit for it.
I've been asked a number of times if I would ever go back and relive highschool. The answer is a resounding no. I can count on one hand the redeeming values that I walked away with from high school. The problem wasn't high school itself, but the choices that I made during it. Now that I've been an alum for over 10 years that whole hindsight concept is really prevelant. The worst years of my life have been spent as a teenager. Oddly enough, I spend my life ministering to those who are at the age that that was the most trouble for me. To this day, I am overwhelmed at the grace of God in my life. In the last 10 years, I've gone from those above mentioned characteristics to pastor, committed husband and father. Who would've thought. Not Me!!!! And do you think that for one moment I just randomly, in the midst of my pursuing the flesh, deciding to follow Jesus? Hahahahahahhahahahahahahahahha How ignorant is that? I didn't decide on a whim, Jesus broke me and interposed Hmself into my life; thats what happened. How dare I take away the workings of Christ by taking credit for something I could never do?
In few short weeks I will be seeing many old friends that only remember me as I remember them. That simply will not do. I've been upgraded and I want them all to know. If the Lord wills, I will get to share my story with many who, unfortunatley, are no better off than they were a decade ago. If you're reading this, please pray for me as I set out to make much of Christ among my former peers. For the glory of the Lord.

1 comment:

Terry C. said...

Will be praying for you bro.